12.12.12

A few days in Leyland

We spent the past couple days in Leyland, England staying with friends. We quickly got over our jetlag and found some time to see some local places. Pam took me to an antique market which was huge and filled with so many things I wanted to take home. I did end up buying a few small items as gifts that will easily fit in my suitcase. The guys went to watch the football game at a local pub.

For dinner one night we went to The Clog & The Billycock. The restaurant was a bit of a drive on a windy road. Too bad it gets dark so early here because there would have been a great view!

For dinner I had a hot pot which is a local specialty. It was lamb stew topped with sliced potatoes and baked in the oven. I also had to try the Christmas pudding with brandy sauce and rum butter. Christmas with the in-laws this year means I will not get any of my grandmother's Christmas pudding. This dessert fulfilled my yearly requirement! It was rich and delicious. But now I wonder, grandma, why do you only put rum in the sauce? I think you missed something in the recipe years ago!

One day we went to The Lake District to a town called Windermere. I would call it the British version of Banff. It was quaint, rustic, and overlooked a lake. There were lots of great shops, a great view, and tons of places to eat or stay the night.

Finally, on the way home from the lakes, while driving on the left, of course, we had some amazing views!

We had a great couple of days in Leyland. We have 2 days in Lancaster, England (where I am writing this from - I cannot wait to tell you about this part of the trip) then we are off to Germany!

By the way, our first 3 days in England were filled with sunshine and blue skies. I'd like to think we brought the sunshine!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...