2.11.11

Vegetarian for a day

As you may know, we try to eat vegetarian at least one day per week for two reasons:
1. its healthy, you do not need meat products everyday, just make sure you get your protein from other sources
2. it saves us money because meat is expensive!

The other night, we decided to try a new soup recipe from Peas & Thank You. The recipe is from her cookbook so you will need to go buy it to get it. Your welcome in advance. This book has some amazing recipes that may even become a staple in your household... like black bean meatballs and the crack wrap! <--- those are our faves

The soup we made was Carrot Ginger Cashew soup. It was a simple, one pot meal, with tons of flavor (ok at times it was slightly too spicy for me, but B loved it). Doesn't it  look amazing? We love our immersion blender when making soups!

With it I made parmesan scones from a classic recipe given to me by E. The scones helped with the spiciness of the soup so it was the prefect  combo for me.
These scones never get old at our house. We never get sick of them and they are usually devoured within 24 hours. I can make these from start to finish in about 22 minutes (including baking time) while everything else is cooking! Here is the recipe:

Cabin Scones:
1 c flour (I mix half white and half whole wheat)
1/4 t salt
1+1/2 t baking powder
1/4 c hard butter
mixins of your choice, I usually use grated cheese or herbs
1/3 c milk

mix together dry ingredients
cut in butter with pastry blender
stir in mixins
combine with milk to make dough
pat into shape of choice on floured counter, cut into shapes
bake on cookie sheet at 350C for 12-15 minutes

I highly recommend trying these scones. They are fool-proof, I promise. I used to be scared of baking breads but every recipe given to me by E (originally from her mom) has been simple and have always turned out. That reminds me, I should probably make onion dill bread sometime soon. That would have been a great accompaniment to this soup too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...