8.6.11

Self-care

Did you read about my blog and wonder, "what is self-care, productivity, and leisure all about?" Well let me tell you! I am an Occupational Therapist. We focus on occupations for our patients. Occupations, or the things we do everyday, include self-care, productivity, and leisure.

This blog will not focus on my patients... its all about my self-care, productivity, and leisure... or the things I  do everyday! Well what is self-care? The technical definition tells us this:

The area of self-care encompasses all of the tasks an individual does throughout the day to look after his or herself. It includes activities such as personal care, functional mobility, and community management. Personal care includes such tasks as feeding oneself, bathing, personal hygiene, dressing, and toileting. Activities involved in community management may include driving, taking public transportation, grocery shopping, completing community errands, and managing one's finances.

Do you want to hear about all of this in my life? Obviously not!

So what do I consider self-care in my life? Things that complete me. Yes, I value hygiene. Yes, I walk, jog, run, spin, etc. Yes, I manage my own community, with my husband. We are a one car family... if there were carpool lanes in Canada, you would see us in that lane. We shop together, usually I run errands while he works  (by errands, I mean go shopping), and we manage the finances together. Seriously... I actually manage my own finances... who would have thought that 4 years ago!

Why do I want to talk about self-care? I think it is very important to take care of yourself. Without taking care of yourself, it is very hard to live a productive and enjoyable life. My self-care includes exercise (check out my fitness page for more info on this), healthy eating, travelling, and being thrifty (yes, I love Groupon and Living Social).

I hope to do frequent posts on self-care and what I am currently doing in the area.

Stay tuned for productivity and leisure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...