9.9.13

shepard's pie

I used to think I did not like Shepard's Pie. I was wrong. I only like it when its homemade. But that is true for many things. B requested shepard's pie for a weekend meal that would provide leftovers for the week. I did some "research" on Pinterest and when I saw the recipe on Skinnytaste I knew I found a winner. When don't I love her recipes? I made a few adjustments based on ingredients we had at home but it is quite similar!


ingredients:

2lb small red potatoes, peeled & diced
1/2c plain greek yogurt
3/4c vegetable broth
pepper & paprika
1lb extra lean ground beef
salt & pepper
1T evoo
rosemary, oregano & herbs de provence
1 yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2c sliced leeks, washed and dried
1c chopped celery
8oz chopped mushrooms
2T whole wheat flour
2c frozen mixed vegetables (1c mixed + 1 c peas)
3/4 vegetable broth
1/4c red wine
2T tomato paste
1T Worcestershire sauce


Boil potatoes until soft. Drain and mash with greek yogurt, broth and pepper.

Preheat oven to 400.

In a frying pan, brown meat. season with salt and pepper. When cooked, drain fat and set aside. 

In a large pot (we use our Staub), add oil, onion, garlic, herbs and sautee. Add leeks, celery and mushrooms, sautee for an addition 3-4 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper and mix well. Add frozen vegetables, broth, red wine, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and browned meat. Mix well. Let simmer on low for 10 minutes. 

Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Add meat mixture and spread evenly. Add mashed potatoes, smooth with spatula then sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 25 minutes until potatoes start to brown. Let rest 5 minutes then serve.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...