24.5.12

Houston highlights #4

On our last night in Houston we wanted to go somewhere nice for a small dinner and wine. B did some research on wine bars in Houston and discovered The Tasting Room. The location in Uptown Park was very close to our hotel so we knew that would be our choice.

The ambiance was calm, modern, and relaxed. We chose to sit at the bar so we would get recommendations and wine samples from the bartenders. Also people watching from a circular bar is always fun! All of their wines were available to sample, by the glass, and by the bottle. The concept of the restaurant is great as it promotes sampling, trying many different wines by the glass, and sharing a few smaller dishes.

We tried some excellent food. We had two types of hummus with pita chips, we really liked the black bean hummus. Next we had "I can't believe it's not foie gras"in a jar with sliced bread. This was definitely my fave. It was chicken liver pate with a bit of EVOO and lemon juice. We finished up our evening with a cheese plate, bread, and pairings. We all know I am a huge cheese fan so I enjoyed every minute of this dish.

We utilized the wine samples to their full potential (they were not small samples) and enjoyed 3 glasses of wine. Staring with a glass of white and transitioning to red, we had wines from many different regions. My fave was Orchid, a Spanish blend of temparnillo, garnacha & syrah.

Of course, I took lots of photos of us enjoying our dinner... it is the best way to get good photos of the two of us! We really liked The Tasting Room and plan to go back next time we are in Houston. Maybe, Stephanie, our bartender will still be there to give us more samples.
 
I loved recapping our vacation! Every post made me want to go back very soon. I did not expect I would enjoy Houston as much as I did. 
I may secretly be a Texan...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...