19.4.12

Sweet potato gnocchi

I decided to do something adventurous last night. We love gnocchi... it is just so pillowy and good! How hard could it be to make? Well my day was complete when I found an amazing recipe for sweet potato gnocchi on Pinterest and knew I could make it myself... then I would not need to buy it for $9/ package (a tiny package) at Whole Foods.

We roasted sweet potatoes on the weekend and had tons of leftovers. I have been unleashing my inner creativity with leftovers this week so I knew they would not be consumed as roasted sweet potatoes for a second time. By the way - we roasted our sweet potatoes this way:
peel
chop into 1" pieces
toss in EVOO, chopped fresh rosemary, and pepper
wrap in foil packages
BBQ until tender

To make the gnocchi I did not need to do much more work! Not much work... but messy... hence the lack of photos while shaping the gnocchi.


Ingredients:
1lb pureed sweet potatoes - approx 2 cups
2 + 1/4 c flour (I used a mix of white and whole wheat)
1 beaten egg
1/4 t cinnamon
salt & pepper

Directions:
Puree leftover roasted sweet potatoes in food processor until smooth.  Add 1 beaten egg, spices, and mix together. Add approx 2c flour until mixed to a doughy consistency (you may need to add more or less). Knead a few times on a floured surface. Cut into quarters, roll each quarter into a long rope, cut into 1" sections, and let dry slightly on a parchment lined cookie sheet (you can freeze them at this point if you want to save them for later). I left mine as a rustic shape as I like the look and it is much less work! 
To cook, drop into boiling water, boil until all gnocchi have floated to the top. Remove with a slotted spoon and mix with desired sauce. We used basil pesto on half and butter with grated cheese on the other half!


Amazing!

We still have over a pound of pureed sweet potatoes left so I will be making more gnocchi to freeze tomorrow! If you come visit you may be lucky enough to enjoy some of these for dinner... or I will teach you to make them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...