20.2.12

My Superfoods

Living in the south can be difficult for one reason... all the fried food. Okay and maybe the excessive rain too! We try not to eat out very much as the choices usually are not very healthy. To offset the times we go out for social events, we love to incorporate superfoods in our everyday cooking at home!

Here are some of my favorite superfoods.

Red berries: 
This week the choice was strawberries as they were on sale for $16/ flat!
Berries are loaded with vitamin C, folate, fiber and phytonutrients. Indeed, fresh berries are some of the most powerful disease fighting foods available. Berries are easy to prepare; just rinse and lightly pat dry. They are great as a dessert, a snack, or sprinkled on top of your morning porridge. This week I made strawberry bread:
But you must be patient, the recipe will be posted tomorrow so check back! I also made it healthier with rye flour and ground flax.
 
Chia seeds:
Chia seeds are rich in omega-3 and fatty acids, protein, vitamin B, calcium, potassium, and fiber. And no, you will not turn into a chia pet. I love to add chia seeds to things like the breakfast cookie and pizza crust!

Tomatoes:
Ever wonder how you can take tomato soup out of a can, add water and is still tastes good? Me too. But I also think there must be an easy way to make tomato soup from scratch! A while back I found the most fool proof recipe. It is simple, tastes good, and is easy to double or triple for leftovers! I hightly recommend trying it next time you want soup that does not come out of a can.
Tomatoes contain high levels of beta-carotene, antioxidant flavonoids and vitamin E. They provides 50 per cent of the recommended daily dose of vitamin C; they contain no saturated fatty acids, are low in salt, starch and sugars, high in dietary fibre and have a low glycaemic index.

Some of my other favorite super foods include blueberries, pumpkin, salmon, spinach, green tea, and yogurt. Hopefully this will inspire you to add some superfood to your everyday cooking!

Here is the view from my back window on Saturday. I hope we have a sunny week to dry up the lake in my backyard!

Remember to check back tomorrow for my strawberry bread recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...